Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini, LLP offers what is unquestionably the most intensive, wide-ranging criminal summer and articling student experience available.
Our goal is not only to give students an insight into the workings of the criminal justice system, but to produce exceptional trial lawyers for the firm. To this end, students will find themselves in court on a daily basis working with and for our lawyers through the various stages of a defence against criminal charges. More than half of our lawyers articled with the firm.
During your articles you will:
- • prepare and conduct criminal trials for charges against the Criminal Code, Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, and Provincial Offences Act;
- • attend court on a daily basis appearing on all administrative dates throughout the various courthouses making every d ay a different and exciting experience which familiarize you with the entire criminal court process;
- • visit clients in custody at the various detention centers and jails;
- • review disclosure and prepare trial material for serious criminal offences such as homicide, sexual assault, robbery, and other indictable offences;
- • prepare and file Charter motions, bail review applications, defence motions and other judicial applications; and,
- • observe and obtain guidance in trial strategy through mentoring and attending court appearances with senior counsel.
Outstanding skills in legal research and writing are required as students are expected to prepare legal memoranda, applications and facta on both trial and appellate matters.
Our students can expect to benefit from an unparalleled combination of superb mentoring coupled with significant independence and responsibility.
In addition to learning about "the law", students will gain the vital practice development and management skills that aren’t taught in law school.
The student experience at Rusonik, O’Connor, Robbins, Ross, Gorham & Angelini, LLP is like no other and will train the articling student to become an effective, fearless, and diligent criminal defence lawyer.
Please feel free to contact Jeff Hershberg, our Chair of Student Recruitment, at firstname.lastname@example.org to answer any questions you may have.
Mr. Hershberg looks forward to receiving ceiviyour application for our articling student/summer student positions.